This is the Tiffany’s necklace, the LBD, the sweet vermouth, the ice cream on a hot day, the- you get it. This is the thing for travelers that you need to have under your belt. This is the solo roadtrip. I’m planning mine for August.
Alright, so my roadtrip will be less of a meander and more of straight shot towards an end destination, but I’m nervous and excited for it all the same. The starting point will be Denver, CO and the end point will be Duluth, MN. My mother’s side of the family is from Duluth so we tend to gather there every summer. I’ve missed a few trips to Duluth here and there and summer just never feels complete! This is the city on the Big Lake, a city of gentrified industry, great fish, great beers, great people, and a beautiful mix of the outdoors and a city lifestyle. The “Minnesota nice” adage is alive and well in Duluth. The drive should take me about fifteen hours, give or take, and I plan to make the drive in one day. Since my work days are about that long it’s not exactly unusual to find me on the move that long of a time period, although I’ll admit I have never driven for that long in one go before. When Mom and I roadtripped out to Colorado last October we split the drive into two days (we had my two cats and my two rabbits with us and those babies needed a break!).
I’m looking forward to powering through Nebraska and then having some more fun in Iowa and Minnesota. My little Diana F+ camera will make a great companion to help document (as well as my trusty Nikon). What things do you need for long road trips? What secrets have you discovered for making a long trip a success? I’ve written about this in previous posts, but here are a few of my favorite road trip items.
1) Coffee and water and snacks (duh).
2) Harry Potter OR Outlander novels on audiobook.
3) That said, I also need a sweet roadtrip playlist. Sometime you just gotta blast that Florence + The Machine.
4) A comfy tee and shorts combo to throw on but still feel stylin’ in. I’m ogling some great adventure tanks on Etsy right now…
5) My Nikon and my Diana F+ to document!
6) Great friends to text you and make sure you’re still in one piece! This is a bit of a joke, but it’s also nice to be able to reach out and share things digitally when you are alone.